Wednesday 12 December 2012

12.12.12 at Perpustakaan Raja Tun Uda, PPAS

(CNB 12.12.12)

I decided to renew my membership at the still quite new Raja Tun Uda Library of the Selangor Public Library Corporation/PPAS - Perbadanan Perpustakaan Awam Selangor) on the 12th day of the 12th month of the 12th year of 2000. Just to remember this special day of this century in, where else but a Library. (Also, you can retire a person from the Library, but you cannot keep her away from Libraries!)

On moving to Shah Alam, I immediately joined the Selangor Public Library in the Shah Alam city centre, next door to the Selangor State Museum. After a while I stopped going because I found the books there old and tired. So I let my membership lapse in 2009. Meanwhile the Library moved to a brand new building and location opposite the KGSAAS (Kelab Golf Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah) in Section 13, in July last year.

The Library facade facing the lake (CNB 2012)

What can I say? I am impressed because the Library is sited near a lake, a site especially chosen by the Sultan of Selangor. Although the front facade looks like that of a factory building to me, the other side facing the lake is all glass and modern.

View of the lake from the main lobby area (CNB 2012)

Be dazzled when looking up the various floors (CNB 2012)

Inside, the six storeys of services/facilities are also very modern and quite attractive. There are levels for Reference, Adults, Juvenile/Youth and Children. It is 'shoes off' on the various floors to ensure the wall to wall carpeting is kept almost dust-free and clean. But there are bags to put your shoes in to take with you while you use the library.

The sofas on the reference/reading floors are plush and very inviting to sit and browse the books awhile. The bookshelves are well signposted, though I did not really browse around to check the titles available. Yes, I prefer to physically find a book I like on the shelf rather than check the online catalogue. So the three books I borrowed this time were those I found on the new acquisitions exhibit shelves.

The second floor reading/viewing area (CNB 2012)

Perhaps the shelves need more books? (CNB 2012)

The XD theatre (CNB 2012)
As a Selangor resident, membership is free, but you do have to pay for some services, like the XD/3D  theatre experience. Facilities include prayer rooms and gyms, as well as the cafeteria/eateries. So you can spend a whole day at the Library if you really want to!

I left after having lunch of nasi campur at the cafeteria area, a cantilevered extension of the Library building, also overlooking the lake. My next visit will be in three weeks time, to return the three books borrowed and get new ones, and to linger awhile at the Library and its beautiful environs.

My lunch at the cafeteria area (CNB 2012)

12.12.12 (Photos in the Library taken with kind permission)

No comments:

Post a Comment