Wednesday 21 September 2011

18 Whitelow Road, Chorlton


M in front of 18 Whitelow Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy
(CNB 1977)

When we lived at the above address in Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Manchester, it was initially a trying time for us. M was doing his PhD in organic chemistry at the University of Salford, while I was, at first, a housewife. Since I did not fancy staying at home, after a couple of months and an interview, I got a job as a Library Assistant at the Stockport Public Library. As a qualified librarian, this position was really not right for me, but I stuck it out for a while until something better came about. David Reid, the head of the division there was kind enough to let me do some bibliographic work that I was trained for, and in the process, I learnt a bit about the local history of Stockport and Manchester. One thing that surprised me about working in England was that, if you were sick you just needed to call in sick, and there was no need of a medical chit as proof. It was all based on trust, and I liked that, because nobody abused the system.

M and me at our flat at 18 Whitelow Rd (1977)

A tomato plant I grew in a pot in our kitchen at Whitelow Rd
(CNB 1977)

Winter at Whitelow Rd (MB 1977)

I went for another interview later for the post of Assistant Librarian at the Salford College of Technology (SCoT). When I got it, I was most elated, because then the pay was commensurate with my qualification as a chartered librarian. I quickly settled into the job, heading the Aquisitions and Reader's Service Division. My boss then, Ms Stella Lowe, remains a friend till today. We still exchange Christmas/New Year greeting cards every year and update each other about our lives.

A winter time photo of SCoT (CNB 1979)

M hard at work on his thesis (CNB 1978)

Spring at Whitelow Rd (MB 1978)

M and I loved to spend our weekends and holidays camping around the UK, especially England. He bought a second-hand car, a orange-coloured Renault, in which we would travel around in Manchester and into the English countryside. I will write more about this in a new post, Forays in the UK 2.

Our orange Renault, sis CY (studying in London then)
& I on Whitelow Rd (MB 1977)

At Manchester railway station, saying farewell to bro
MN from Malaysia who visited us for a week (MB 1978)

With friends and their children (MB 1979)

M & I celebrate Nowruz in Manchester (1980)

When M finished his PhD, we packed up and moved to his home country - Iran.

1977-1980

No comments:

Post a Comment