Tuesday 28 August 2012

Snapshots: Weddings of Yesteryears

'Tis the wedding season and every weekend is filled with invitations to wedding kenduris (feasts) and receptions. The wedding kenduris of yesteryears used to be very much a gotong-royong (co-operative) affair by the whole village or housing estate. But I guess not so much anymore with food now being 'catered' and kenduris held mostly away from home, in community halls, etc. Then there are the hotel affairs - some receptions, I'm sure you'll agree with me, are way over the top!

Anyway, I was looking through my collection of black & white photos (some inherited from Ba, my father), and found some old and interesting wedding pictures. I hope you enjoy looking at them.

Second cousin Ahmad & bride, Sg. Petani
ca. 1960's

A neighbour's son & bride, Alor Star ca. 1950's. As a young
child I remember waiting till after midnight for this bersanding
ceremony. But it was worth it because the 'under the sea' theme
of the dais was fantastic - the 'shells', ' seahorses', etc. moved!

Unidentified friends of Ba, Kedah ca. 1940's

My primary school teacher's sister & groom, Kuala Pilah ca.
early 1960's

My Bro MN & bride SM, Pulau Pinang  ca. 197?

My Ba's distant cousin & bride, Pulau Pinang ca. 1940's


No comments:

Post a Comment