Tuesday 5 February 2013

Landmarks of Selangor: Shah Alam Stadium & Melawati Stadium

The Stadium Shah Alam and Stadium Melawati (or Malawati) are two stadia of the Selangor State Sports Council, built between 1994-1997 in Shah Alam. 'Designed (by Hijjas Kasturi Associates) for large scale sporting and entertainment events, these structures combine traditional features with some spectacular modern innovations'.

Stadium Shah Alam
This is a partially covered stadium that seats 80,000. The roof structure is rather dramatic and it seems that 'from the air, the stadium looks like a partially open giant eye, without the eyeball'.

Every time I pass by this rather dramatic structure, I think of the 'giant eye' and the spectators moving along the vomitoria* of it to get to their seats and watch a great game/concert, hopefully. I have never been into this stadium for any sports/concert, so I do not have any 'inside' photos of it. But I hope to do so to get a feel of its grandeur. Anyone got free tickets for the next great game/concert there?

Stadium Shah Alam (CNB 2013)

One half of Stadium Shah Alam (CNB 2013)

* Not the place to vomit (eeuw!), but the architectural term for 'Passageways connecting an outside entrance to a tier of seats'.

*Update 29/09/2014*
Last night I got to enter the Shah Alam Stadium to watch The Sultan of Selangor's Cup 2014 match between Selangor and Singapore. Check out my blog post "My first football game: TSSC 2014" dated 29 September 2014. Below are two pictures of the stadium interior taken during the event.



Stadium Melawati
This stadium seats 12,000 on four sides of a central space and is air-conditioned. The roof is covered in copper sheets so the indoor arena is totally enclosed.

I have been into this stadium a couple of times, once to see the RTM Hits 1 finals concert which A was co-hosting. But I do not have any pictures of the inside of this stadium, nor do I have good pictures of the outside!

The copper roof of Stadium Melawati (CNB 2013)

Ref: Landmarks of Selangor. Jugra Publications, 2003

(In progress - I hope to take better pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment