Wednesday 28 August 2013

SA Garden Catalogue: Episcia Cupreata

The Episcia cupreata which I dub the 'red trumpet' is a trailing, free-flowering plant able to form a ground cover or droop over the edge of hanging pots. There are several varieties, distinguished by leaf colour patterns, but I only have one variety in my little garden. I would consider it an easy herbaceous plant to grow. In fact it is so easy to propagate by cuttings and grows well in partial sun or shade.





Common name: (Red trumpet)
Scientific name: Episcia cupreata
Family: African violet
Origin: Tropical America





The 'red trumpet' I have grows both on the ground and in containers. My 'starter' plant was given to me by my good neighbour some time ago and now there are these pretty red flowers and their velvety leaves to appreciate always.

Weather-wise, the late August rains seem to be very late, in fact the weather has just been very hot and balmy. It has rained very heavily just once last week and then, nothing but heat (and some pollution still from the Sumatran forest fires).

No comments:

Post a Comment