Thursday 17 April 2014

Books I Love: The World's Greatest Architecture

My copy of 'The World's greatest architecture'

Architecture is a fascinating subject. Although I have had the privilege of visiting some of the wonders of built structures in the world, yet there are just so many to be awed by. So to enable me to enjoy great buildings at the turn of a page, I bought this book of "The World's greatest architecture; past and present" by D. M. Field. As the cover promises, it is 'an illustrated celebration with over 600 photographs'.
The book explores buildings from the earliest times to the 20th century. The contents cover: 1. The Ancient world  2. The Classical world  3. The Medieval world  4. Renaissance to Baroque  5. Baroque to Revivalism 6. The Far East  7. South Asia  8. Islam and 9. The 20th Century.

The author describes each of the buildings with helpful details for the lay person (including moi). The photographs as well as the history of the landmark structures make for very interesting referencing. I am constantly reading this book whenever I feel like visiting a country (often times, vicariously only, heh-heh).

The World's greatest architecture; past and present / D. M. Field. Hermes House, 2010. 
Ex Libris CNB 1988

No comments:

Post a Comment