Wednesday 6 May 2015

Our Island Getaway

The recent long four-day weekend (i.e. the weekend plus two public holidays) was our chance for an island getaway. To balik kampung actually, to Pulau Pinang (PP). We did not drive but flew with Malindo Air there (and Firefly back). It was my first Malindo flight and it was good, smooth all the way. Just the way I like any flights I take.


We had no car to go around, but we had very kind friends of B (Santhi and See Toh) to drive us places. Santhi (and niece) fetched us from the airport (seriously I have always thought that PIA stood for Pakistan International Airways, duuh! But then I recall PIA advertisements during my childhood years when Penang International Airport did not exist yet!).

We had our nasi kandar fix at two popular eateries - the Line Clear and Kampung Melayu. Also tandoori at Kapitan's and banana leaf rice at Passions of Spices. We walked along the Esplanade, checked out the History Museum and went on the inner city street art trail. I went on the trail twice this time, the second time with my niece SR, introducing her to the delicious cakes of China House.


I felt almost like a tourist during this visit because I visited the Rat Island/Pulau Tikus Market for the first time (despite having lived in PP for more than thirty years). With Santhi and niece, we bought some delightful nyonya cakes for breakfast there. But then again, I also felt most at home because I got to spend some time with my two older siblings for that long weekend.

P.S. I have lots of pictures of our PP getaway but then something is not right with the computer and I cannot upload anymore for now. Sheesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment