Thursday 27 August 2015

SA Garden Catalogue: Tabebuia rosea


Scientific name: Tabebuia rosea  Syn: Tabebuia pentaphylla
Common name: Trumpet tree
Malay name:
Family:
Origin: Mexico to Venezuela

The Tabebuia rosea tree bears fairly big bell-shaped flowers, white to purple in colour. The flowers are produced intermittently sometimes coinciding with the shedding of leaves. The tree grows well in full sun, preferably in parks or the roadside. Propagation is by seeds.

I did not grow this tree in my little urban garden knowing that it is a fast-growing potentially large tree, up to 30 m tall. But a seed must somehow have taken growth, so I had a tall tree on my tiny piece of front yard. I let it and it grew very fast but when it started scraping against the gutter during windy days, I had to do something drastic. I pruned it down to only my waist height (on July 9). Now there are a lot of branches sprouting up and I will monitor the growth so it does not overwhelm the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment