Sunday 18 December 2011

A Movie Collection at SA,SA

At SA,SA* we have quite a fair number of movie titles on CDs/DVDs - about 600 on my last count. This collection is incorporated into the library shelves/cupboards both upstairs and downstairs. Most of us in the family are movie buffs and other than watching the new movies at the cinemas, and reruns on Astro, we also watch or re-watch (re-view?) movies at home. Thanks to Speedy outlets selling some movie CDs/DVDs at the bargain price of RM5 each, I always browse their bins to find titles that are 'watchable'. Sometimes I find 'gems' for RM5, e.g. Australia, The Jane Austen Book Club, Tea with Mussolini, etc. (I know, I know you can download movies from the Internet, but hey, I'm old-fashioned, and a laggard when it comes to innovations).

Although most are in English, I have quite a fair number of Malay, Indonesian, Chinese and Hindi movies. There are also movies in foreign languages like Farsi, French, German, Spanish, even Portuguese. Subtitles help a lot although the quality of translation is sometimes questionable. Even laughable at times!

My favourite movies are usually the romcoms (romantic comedies). Why? Because romance and comedy equals fun and entertainment. Nothing serious. I hate scary movies and never watch them. (Okay I admit, I have watched a few including the The Exorcist but would rather have not, really). Thrillers are fine because they put you on edge. Fantasy is okay, especially children's feature cartoons! 3D movies are fun to watch, but I wish they would enable us to do away with the cumbersome goggles. Favourite movie stars? Drew Barrymore, Sandra Bullock, Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins, Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, Robin Williams, and Gong Li  are among the actors that I like.

What movies have I watched and liked? The last one was a Cantonese movie called Hu Du Men. I will write about it and others in future postings of 'Movies I like'.

*SA,SA is Seri Aryan, Shah Alam

No comments:

Post a Comment