Monday 15 August 2011

Ayer Itam, Pulau Pinang

After Gemas, my father was transferred to Pulau Pinang, to Prai actually (because there is no KTM railway station on the island). But we lived in Ayer Itam on this 'Pearl of the Orient'. I guess it really was in the days of yore, but then there was a time when it was 'Darul Sampah'! Anyway it is my family kampung till today. I still go back to the family house in Ayer Itam every Hari Raya.

The family and visiting relatives in Ayer Itam (1960's)

I went to the Methodist Girls' School in Anson Road for a year only, but have fond memories of my time there. Not so much the schooling but the food, especially in the canteen! Who can forget the mee kuah (yellow noodles in spicy sauce) cooked on the spot by the 'mee lady',  the coconut strips in pink syrup drink just ouside the school gates, or the sweet and juicy coconut candy that a classmate sold.

Methodist Girls' School (Internet picture)

One incident that will not be forgotten by my older sisters SP and CY, and me was the day we walked back home from school. That's from Anson Road to Jalan Kg Melayu, quite a long distance I assure you. Normally we take the bus, but on that particular day I squandered my pocket money, on food (what else?), and so did not have the bus fare. So I decided to walk when my sisters playfully refused to lend me the money! And they had to walk too (discreetly behind), because they were afraid if anything happened to a younger sibling. At the time I thought 'serve them right, shylocks!', but later I knew they cared for me and wanted to teach me a lesson about being careful with how we spend our pocket money.

Achievement in the last year of primary school? I must have done okay because the next phase of my education was in that premier boarding school in Seremban, Negri Sembilan.

No comments:

Post a Comment