Monday 15 August 2011

My Singapura

Singapore is the first and latest foreign country I have visited. Of course when I first visited in the early 1960s it was not yet 'foreign'. We all know it separated from Malaysia in 1965 to become the Republic of Singapore. However this is not a history lesson, so back to my forays (in 1962, 1991, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2011 Feb & Jun) into this 'little red dot on the map'.

Cartographically a little red dot, but truly Singa Pura, a Lion City. A city that roars. My latest trip down south in June was by the KTM train to Tanjong Pagar/Singapura station, 'to say farewell' before it closed on 1st July 2011. I really hope they will preserve the beautiful station building, built in 1932. This time I went to S'pore with my friends SH and RMN and the latter's son. We stayed 3 nights in Jellicoe Road, and used the MRT, taxis and buses to go sightseeing and shopping. I am glad that we did more sightseeing than shopping, despite the 'great S'pore sale' being on.

During the first visit in 1962, my father took my siblings and I to the Haw Par Villa/Tiger Balm Gardens, quite a sensational tourist attraction then, with statues and tableux depicting traditional Chinese myths/customs. I revisited it after more than 40 years later and am glad to report that it is as gaudy and kitschy* as ever! It remains as I remember it then, but I read somewhere (in guidebooks or Neil Humphreys' Final notes from a great island) that a lot had happened in between.
     
*Kitsch - Cheap and showy vulgarity or pretentiousness in art, design, etc. (Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary) 

Our group at the Haw Par Villa entrance (2011)

One of the many depictions of  'hell' at HPV (CNB 2011)

Horse face guard at the entrance of the '10 courts of hell' (CNB 2011)

A humongous laughing Buddha in the sculpture garden (CNB 2011)

Then there is the 'must-visit when in S'pore' Jurong Bird Park. I must admit I have never been there before my latest Lion City visit. So I cajoled my friends into going and the half day spent there was truly rewarding. I took tons of photos there. How could you not? There were colourful and beautiful birds of all sizes and hues; parrots, parakeets, flamingoes (my favourite), pelicans, etc., etc.

Orange feathered Caribbean flamingoes (CNB 2011)

The pink feathered flamingoes (CNB 2011)

Feeding the parakeets at JBP (SH 2011)

Pelicans in a feeding frenzy at JBP (CNB 2011)

The very odd looking shoebill (CNB 2011)

A beautiful ginger flower
Garden and nature lovers must of course visit the Singapore Botanical Gardens, conveniently at one end of Orchard Road. Gawk at the flowers and trees first before going on to gawk at the designer stuff in the Orchard road malls/shopping centres. That way you will be tired enough to not abuse your credit card and spend too much (I think, maybe). We spent a morning at the SBG and the fascination for the ginger flowers, the huge old trees, the sculptures nicely placed, all made for many, many photos. Here are some.





 
Chopin and appreciative ladies at the SBG (SH 2011)

The Vanda Miss Joachim, S'pore's national flower (CNB 2011)

With garden artist, SH and Ras (Ariff 2011)

A grand old tree - Kapok, planted in 1933 (CNB 2011)

'Girl on a swing' by British sculptor Sydney Harpley (CNB 2011)
To be cont'd. (My Singapura 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment