Saturday 24 December 2011

Artsy Fartsy, maybe

... by Rafiee Ghani

I am not really artsy (used to describe someone who likes and actively indulges in art), but may be, a little artsy fartsy (having an overly strong interest in appearing to be aesthetically aware). [Definitions from the Urban Dictionary]

Anyway I am not an art collector, but I did buy a modern art painting from the artist himself. I first saw Rafiee Ghani's work in a hotel coffee house in Pulau Pinang, maybe ten years or so ago and I liked them instantly. I resolved then to acquire at least one original piece of his art. I was able to do so a couple of years back and the painting now hangs in the lounge of our little terrace home in SA. Not everyone who sees it, likes it though, but then 'one man's meat is another man's poison', and  'one man's weird is another man's wonderful'.

"Pink Melon" by Rafiee Ghani (CNB 2011)

The "Pink Melon" in SA,SA (CNB 2011)

I have seen some of Rafiee Ghani's paintings in a gallery in Shah Alam, also once at the Nippon Artfest in November 2007 at the KLIA. B and I also had the chance to attend his solo exhibition 'Rainbow Warrior' at Galeri Chandan (in 2009) and it was really a wonderful collection of paintings, with his own son as muse. I have yet to visit his studio in Puncak Alam, but will try to do so in 2012. Hopefully by then I will be able to acquire a second painting of his, when I find the gold at the end of the rainbow...


A Rafiee Ghani painting at a Gallery in Shah Alam (2007)

Another RG painting at the same Gallery (2007)

A RG painting Mid Day Sun II at the Nippon Artfest (CNB 2007)

Another RG painting The Sea Front at the Nippon
Artfest (CNB 2007)

The 'Rainbow Warrior' exhibits (CNB 2011)

The artist Rafiee Ghani explains his 'Rainbow Warrior' (CNB 2009)

B at the 'Rainbow Warrior' exhibition (CNB 2009)

One of RG's painting in the 'Rainbow Warrior' series (CNB 2011)

The Artist and I at Galeri Chandan (BB 2009)

Another  'Rainbow Warrior' painting by RG (CNB 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment