Saturday 24 December 2011

A Culture Vulture, perhaps

A Culture vulture is defined by Dictionary.com as someone who is extremely interested in classical forms of art. Their tastes are considered high brow, possibly to the point of annoyance.

The above clearly does not define me, because I do not think anyone has been annoyed by my tastes (except perhaps my two daughters when they were very young and had to accompany me on all my 'cultural forays'). I have done my fair share of enjoying artistic/classical/cultural concerts and performances, but not too much of the 'high brow' type. The performing arts especially, have always interested me, but more as appreciative audience than artiste.

In school we were guided in our appreciation of art, literature and classical music by our local and expatriate teachers. During varsity days, there were interesting performances at the UM Experimental Theatre. Then in the UK, the West End and Sadler's Wells theatres provided countless sessions of ballet, musical concerts and theatrical performances for me. Back in the workplace at USM, the Pusat Seni (Arts Centre) also presented many artistic works at the Panggung Sasaran. I always thought that when I retired and lived in Shah Alam/KL, I would be a real 'culture vulture' and attend all performances at the Istana Budaya, Dewan Filharmonik, etc. But ... the truth is, I have not really been to many. Ah, such is life! Things sometimes never go as planned.

Anyway, below are some performances I attended at the Istana Budaya and the Dewan Filharmonik.

Jan 2011 - Muzikal Tun Mahathir 2 (CNB 2011)

Terima Kasih Cinta (CNB 2011)

Lat Kampung Boy; sebuah muzikal (CNB 2011)

Konsert Jamal Abdillah (CNB 2011)

I did not get to see the prodigy on piano - 11 year old Tengku Ahmad Irfan Tengku Shahrizal  perform at the Dewan Filharmonik in January this year, but when he performed with the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra in October 2009, A and I were enamoured. We are sure he would have a fantastic music career ahead of him. You go, boy!

A got Tengku Ahmad Irfan to sign our programme book (CNB 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment