Saturday 28 January 2012

"Perfumed Gardens" by Rafiee Ghani

Catalogue of Perfumed Gardens by Rafiee Ghani (CNB 2012)

With my niece in tow, yesterday I went to the Galeri Chandan in Bukit Damansara to see the "Perfumed Gardens" exhibition of the art works of Rafiee Ghani. It was inspired by his four months sojourn in India last year, March to June, I think. I went to India in November and so was very curious to see his creative perspective of this country. I am no art critic but as the artist himself stated, "It's about feeling". I really feel that the paintings are most evocative of the 'hidden' India - beautiful, though maybe forgotten or neglected gardens that abound in the ancient forts, palaces, and tombs, especially of the Mughal era. Then there is decaying Old Delhi and the life that must go on for its inhabitants.

I must apologise because my pictures here (of some pieces at the exhibition) do not do justice to the vibrant colours that are Rafiee Ghani's signature style. We all know he is a brilliant colourist. So if you have the opportunity, do go see this beautiful collection of paintings. I'm sure you will come away feeling that you must visit/revisit India.

Rafiee Ghani's Moon Lake, oil on canvas (CNB 2012)
This is one of my favourite pieces.

RG's The Milk Maids, oil on canvas (CNB 2012)
Another favourite piece.

The paintings of Rafiee Ghani were oil on canvas and mixed media on paper, mainly. There was also two walls with his sketches and photographs of Indian images taken with his 3G phone. There were his Moleskine sketchbooks (of the Red Fort and India Gate), unfortunately then, under glass. But I understand, because they were for sale at RM21,000. The paintings were in the range of RM4,000 to RM32,000, if I am not mistaken. But believe me, they would look good in any living room.


RG's The King goes Hunting, mixed media on paper
 (CNB 2012) 

RG's Fly-by, mixed media on paper (CNB 2012)

RG's Saffron Sky, mixed media on paper (CNB 2012)

The Goa series by Rafiee Ghani, oil on canvas (CNB 2012)

RG's Fire in the Mountains, oil on canvas (CNB 2012)

Photo prints and sketches by Rafiee Ghani (CNB 2012)

RG's The Rose Gate, oil on canvas (CNB 2012)
Yet another favourite piece.

RG's Hope Valley, oil on canvas (CNB 2012)

Posing with Rafiee Ghani's The Girls always Visit and Kiss
the Girls, both oil on canvas (2012)

27 January 2012

1 comment: