Tuesday 8 May 2012

A Garden in May

It's been a couple of months since I wrote anything about my little garden. I had been to Japan last month and seen some beautiful gardens and parks in Spring - truly a wonderful experience, especially because everywhere we went, the cherry blossoms were in their full glory.

Anyway, my little garden has thrived while I was away, thanks to my nice neighbour who watered it when necessary. There were some April showers, but now in May we are surely feeling the heat. Some plants need watering twice a day now. But I'm glad to note that the 'Spring season' is in the air although we are in the tropics - many plants are flowering, even the Tamalan trees on our street.


The beautiful flowers of the Tamalan (CNB 2012)

I couldn't help putting up another pic of these blooms
(CNB 2012)

I took these pictures early in the month, when two of the Frangipani plants were in bloom, the Sri Lanka Wrightia (aka Thai jasmine) branches were reaching for the sky, and the Plumbago flowers aplenty. They all still are.


Pink frangipani (CNB 2012)

White-yellow frangipani (CNB 2012)

Thai jasmine (CNB 2012)

Thai jasmines reaching for the sky! (CNB 2012)

Gorgeous Gardenia (CNB 2012)

Purple Plumbago blooms in the sun (CNB 2012)

The Plumbago bush (CNB 2012)

Bright pink Crown of thorns (CNB 2012)

Light pink, yellow-green Crown of thorns (CNB 2012)

Mock orange (CNB 2012)

Pretty purple Periwinkles (CNB 2012)

This Torenia found its way to the back potted kitchen garden
(CNB 2012)

My daily garden routine is in the morning - pruning and watering, usually. The rest of the day I view the garden from indoors, and think about what can be done to improve it. Some plants need to be transferred to bigger pots. Is it already time for fertilising? Actually the list goes on, but I do enjoy doing whatever needs to be done in my little sanctuary of a garden.

A view of the jungle garden from indoors (CNB 2012)


No comments:

Post a Comment