Sunday 16 September 2012

I Ran the Penang Bridge

Okay, I did not run the Penang Bridge, 3rd (now 4th?) longest bridge in Southeast Asia. That's the job of the concessionaire PBSB (Penang Bridge Sdn Bhd). I ran on the bridge five years after it was officially opened in 1985.

The Penang Bridge Run is always a event that Penangites especially look forward to. The Bridge Run in 1990 was held on the 13th May. That was my one and only attempt! Read on and you will find out why.

And the runners are off... (CNB 1990)

For one thing, the participants have to be there quite early - before the break of dawn. The event usually starts in front of the Universiti Sains Malaysia padang. And there are thousands (?) of people milling around. When the runners were flagged off, you can bet I was a straggler, right at the end! I and a friend from Teluk Kumbar actually. My Bro AE was with the front group of runners.

I knew I had to 'freeze the moments' on the bridge because the annual run is about the only time one can run/walk on this 13.5 km structure. So I brought my handy small camera and had some photos taken. Sempat lagi nak berposing! 'Kodak moments'!

Sunrise on the Penang Bridge (1990)

Sunrise on the Penang Bridge that day was something I would certainly remember forever. It was a vision that took your breath away. I mean, my breath was taken away. So I got my photos, then ran on towards the mainland end of the bridge. My friend being more fit, had scooted off way in front. She did finish the run and so did Bro AE who qualified for the 'time certificate'. What happened to this piece of paper in the end is too embarrassing to tell! (Don't worry Bro, your secret is safe with me.)

With my TK friend (1990)

What about me? Did I finish the run? Well, when I got to the mainland end of the bridge, there was a bus offering to take stragglers back to the other side, to the finishing line. Did I take up the offer? Are you insane? Of course I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment