Friday 7 September 2012

Nine Blue Boxes & the Need for Dejunking

When we moved from Pulau Pinang to Shah Alam, we shifted tonnes of stuff. Today, four years later, we still have nine big blue boxes that need sorting out. Dejunking a lifetime of memorabilia (or 'rubbish' as the Chemistry Professor is wont to say) is tough work I tell you. Dejunking means getting rid of the junk, so he may have something there!

Anyway a cursory inspection, again, into the boxes reveal;
Box 1. Photos, photos, photos. Okay, these documentation of a family are valuable 'archival' material and will need to be organised into loads of albums. Or should they be somehow uploaded into a photo library in the clouds? Decisions, decisions...

Box 2. Files, files, files. These need weeding out and reduced, because really, do you ever find the particular document you are looking for? Oh, wait, I found the 1992 electric bill! Were you looking for it? But really, with so many files around, I am always too lazy to start. Urrggh!

Box 3 & 4. Newspaper cuttings, brochures. Two big boxes of yellowed newspaper cuttings? (Well, I was always hoarding 'interesting' articles from the papers and magazines, like all good/wannabe writers do.) But seriously, these should go, pronto! There's the reference library in the sky, for heaven's sake!

Box 5. Diaries, Journals. Ahh... This is the box I am now rummaging through and will provide me fodder for my blog entries. Nostalgia all the wayyyy...

Box 6. A's memorabilia & Box 7 & 8. B's memorabilia. Well, they have to do something about these. I know, I know, they are always too busy...

Box 9. Miscellaneous stuff that defy classification. What can I say? This will be the most difficult to sort and dejunk! Sometimes I feel that if this box and Box 3 & 4 disappeared in the night, nothing would be missed and no one would be the wiser. (Except me, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment