Friday 16 November 2012

Books I Love: Di Bawah Lindungan Kaabah

My 2002 new ed. of DBLK (CNB 2012)
Di Bawah Lindungan Kaabah, an Indonesian novellete by HAMKA (Haji Abdul Malik bin Karim bin Amrullah) was first published in 1938. It is Hamka's first novel actually, and still widely acclaimed today. I watched the 2011 movie adaptation recently on Awal Muharram (Maal Hijrah) on TV and I cried buckets.

So I re-read the book, a new edition published in 2002 (my earlier copy had gone missing so I went out and bought a new one to replace it). We all know it is the story of star-crossed lovers Hamid and Zainab, who grew up together in Padang, Sumatra. Their love is doomed even before it can really start because of their very different social statuses. When you read the book, do not forget your box of tissues.




The star-crossed lovers (TV grab 2012)

'Hapuskanlah perasaan itu dari hatimu, jangan ditimbul-timbulkan juga. Engkau tentu memikirkan juga, bahawa emas tak setara dengan loyang, sutera tak sebangsa dengan benang.' ... Ibu Hamid

Ex Libris CNB 1253 

No comments:

Post a Comment