Sunday 11 November 2012

Johor Jaunts

I just realised that I have nothing on the 'Jewel of Malaysia' i.e. Johor (from the Arabic Jauhar meaning Jewel), and it would seem like I'd never been there. But I have, from even as far back as the early 60s. When we were living in Gemas (Negri Sembilan) then, my Father would sometimes drive us in his always shiny, black Morris Minor into Segamat. This little town in Johor became the alternative place to get our household supplies. We would also visit a cloth shop there, especially for our Hari Raya bajus and curtains. I found out recently that the proprietor then was a Mohd Jikal, and he would later build his textile empire that is now Jakel! I digress.

Bro AG & family and A,B and me in Ayer Hitam (1990)
I never visited Johor again after we left Gemas for Pulau Pinang. Then my Bro AG married a girl from Batu Pahat and so the few jaunts into Johor from then on became more the 'functional' type - to celebrate functions with family. In 1990, from Melaka we went on to Batu Pahat where my Bro's in-laws lived, and also to Kluang where he did. The stopover in Ayer Hitam to buy ceramics there was sort of mandatory I suppose, so we did. (By the way, my Bro AG's mother-in-law served us the best ever laksa Johor I have ever tasted! But we did not have the opportunity to savour the famous Kluang Station roti bakar and kaya for breakfast because our train from there back to KL was too early in the morning. Cest la vie!)

A & B at Kluang Railway Station (CNB 1990)

My nephew NJS (Iman) worked in an oil palm estate in Johor and became betrothed to a local girl from a Felda settlement near Kota Tinggi. So in 2006 we had the opportunity to go there to witness his akad nikah (solemnisation) at a local mosque, and attend the wedding kenduri (feast) the next day at the girl's parent's residence.

Kota Tinggi being the place where the Sultanate of Johor began, my nephew did take us to see some of the historic remains, among them the tombs of Sultan Mahmud Mangkat Dijulang (in Kg Makam) and Laksamana Bentan (in Kg Kelantan). We also did see the quirky Makam Kucing Bertanduk (tomb of the Sultan's favourite cat - did it really have horns?) and the grave of a mysterious lady who married several times but her grooms were killed on their wedding nights, supposedly by the lady's 'scorpion twin'. Actually I have quite forgotten the details of this intriguing 'legend'.

The recent devastating flood then had submerged Kota Tinggi town and we could see the signs everywhere. Even the (Mayres) hotel we stayed in was only operable from its upper floors.

Family at Fazlina's wedding in Batu Pahat (2008)
Meantime my Bro AG's two children grew up and when it was time for their weddings (on two different dates of course), we went into Batu Pahat again. On the occasion of his daughter's wedding, I went with my Bro AW and his family. After the kenduri, we went on to Johor Baru to stay with my sister-in-law QA's brother and his wife. It was most kind of them to take us into Danga Bay that night for our dinner. But as for shopping there ... not really my cup of tea, I mean not really my glass of teh tarik!



Family at Farhan's wedding in Batu Pahat (March 2011)

We did get to celebrate Chinese New Year at a friend's home in Johor Baru in 2011. We were in Singapore then, so we crossed the Causeway into JB and later returned the same night. It was a wonderful occasion with fantastic lion dances and beautiful fireworks lighting up the Johor sky!

CNY lion dance in JB (CNB 2011)

But I know that I have not really experienced all the best of what Johor has to offer. I have always been fascinated with Gunung Ledang (Mt. Ophir), but my hope of ever climbing it is now zilch. So I guess I will never get to meet the Puteri who resides there (does she still?). I would love to go to Ujong Tanah (Land's End), now called Tanjung Piai, and the southernmost tip of the Asian mainland. Also the Endau Rompin National Park. Legoland Park? Just maybe ...

No comments:

Post a Comment