Sunday 16 June 2013

I Remember My Father & Mother

I remember my father Ba often, more so on Father's Day. Even though he has left us nearly a decade ago, yet I remember instances with him like it happened yesterday. He was a very disciplined man who woke up very early every day of his life. When he was working with Keretapi Tanah Melayu, he never missed a day's work. I had always wished to emulate him during my working years and I hope I did.


During retirement, he kept busy, first driving around family members and running errands in Ayer Itam, then later working in his fruit orchard behind the family home in Teluk Kumbar. While my mother Mak was the busy housewife looking after eleven of us, Ba made sure we were not deprived of anything, even though his salary was not big. He saw to it that we wanted for nothing. He strongly believed in good education and ensured we all did okay in school and later could earn a decent living. He encouraged us to save from a very young age and I remember my siblings and I had Bank Simpanan Pejabat Pos (Post Office Savings Bank) accounts before the age of ten. Pity though we later learnt to withdraw and spend our money faster than we saved them! Blame the big, bad world ... for Ba's words about 'money making money' falling on deaf ears.

As far as food was concerned I remember Ba always bought the freshest of fresh from the wet market and was very selective about eating out. His favourite eateries in Tanjong (Georgetown) became our favourite too. He was also generous in sharing whatever rezeki (sustenance) was his. He provided for relatives who came to stay with us when they had a need to. During the durian seasons, he would always have a kenduri (feast) for the family, relatives and neighbours; Mak preparing the pulut santan to eat with the yummy durians from the orchard.

Ba and grandchildren A, B, Iman & Riduan.
Mak is in the background.
When I started secondary (boarding) school in Seremban, Ba still gave me pocket money although he knew that we boarders received adequate stipend (scholarship allowance). And I remember every new term before being sent off on the train to Seremban, my Mak would place the pocket money plus school fees into the pocket of the skirt I was wearing and sew it up securely. Then I would later unravel the sewing, pay the school fees and spend all my pocket money faster than you can say, 'How much?'

Ba was very subtle in advising his children. I remember during the days of the 'very mini' skirts, he did not forbid me wearing them because he knew that would encourage a teen to rebel more. He knew the 'fad' was only for a while and he was right. I went on to wearing catsuits very soon after! When I was taking my driving lessons after Form Six, he gave me many pointers about safe driving which till today I adhere to and am truly grateful for.

Ba never imposed on us what we wanted to do career-wise. He knew I loved books and reading and so did encourage me to go ahead and go to London to be a librarian. Ba and I had always read the newspapers together (Straits Times) and he would keep aside those I missed. He would regale friends and relatives with the fact that I love reading so much, I even read outdated newspapers! He was initially disappointed that I wanted to marry a foreigner because then I would be living overseas, but he consented anyway. Then as life would turn out, we later came back to live here.

During his last years, Ba never left the house in Teluk Kumber much. Even if he visited his children, it was only a day trip. He was driving his trusty Morris Minor until his eyes eventually made it preferable for him to stop. He never stopped working in the orchard everyday, making sure it was clear of undergrowth and properly enriched so the trees may be productive. He even ensured that the little river that runs through it was clean so his grandchildren may frolic in the waters. I think he was most happy to be close to nature and toiling the land.

Mak & I (BB 2005?)
When Ba passed away in 1994, Mak lived with her sons (my brothers); first with AJ in Sungai Merab, Bangi then with MM in Teluk Kumbar. Later she chose to live in the family home in Ayer Itam with my eldest sister SP, where on 17th March this year she left us forever.

Ya Allah, cucurilah rahmat ke atas kedua-dua ibubapa kami selalu. Ba (1915-1994) & Mak (1921-2013) Al-Fatihah.

(In progress)

No comments:

Post a Comment