Sunday 19 January 2014

Colours of My Life: Blue

The second in my 'Colours of Life series' is BLUE. National Geographic celebrates blue mostly naturally. "The sweeping colour of sea and sky, blue is a common thread in nature, seen in the cerulean of a whale shark, the indigo of a stormy night and the cobalt of a peacock's feathers. Over the centuries, the hue has come to represent calm, cold, mysticism, and sadness".

For me blue seems everywhere and is a calming colour, whether in nature or in the man-made world - on buildings, people, even food!

1. This picture of kompang players in blue I captured at a blue themed wedding in Port Dickson, Negri Sembilan. The little boy was the main attraction. He was terribly shy though. The bride and groom wore blue, and I remember even the dais was the same colour.


2. When we were in Melaka in November last year, we walked around and came across this beautiful blue hued bead shop. We couldn't help posing at the 'potholes' on both sides of the building.


3. The cerulean blue skies and wispy white clouds over horse riders on the beach at Nusa Dua, Bali was just calming. It made us forget about all the wild dogs loitering around the approach to the beach.


4. The blue locomotive of a DSVN (Duong Sat Viet Nam) train we saw when travelling from Hanoi to Halong Bay. Pity we did not have too many days in Vietnam to ride on any trains of the Vietnamese Railways.


5. Christmas colours are usually red and green, so this festive plate being blue was quite unusual. I found it at a knock down sale section of a ceramic shop in Plaza Alam Sentral, Shah Alam.


6. B and a mannequin 'twin' at the Shah Alam Pasar Tani Mega one Sunday morning. She was trying on the blue baju kurung before deciding whether to buy it or not. I can't remember if she did. Wait a minute, she did buy after all, albeit a green one. Anyway, it may be a farmers' market but you can really get everything under the sun at the SAPTM.


7. Blue hour at the Straits Quay in Pulau Pinang. The time in between day and night. A photographer's delight, I mean sweet light!


8. A speedboat skimming over the indigo blue waters of the Sulawesi Sea near Sabah during the blue hour again. A magical hour indeed.


9. Beautiful purplish blue hydrangea my friends and I came across at the Jurong Bird Park, Singapore. I love hydrangeas, they are my favourite flowers. I have a plant in my garden and it has been blooming for some time already.


10. These blue souvenirs we brought back from Italy. The dish shows the countryside in Tuscany and was hand painted by a local artist. The frame is Murano glass, bought in Venice. Unfortunately we never made it to the island of Murano or even Burano. Maybe someday ...


All photos by CNB

No comments:

Post a Comment