Friday 3 January 2014

Welcome Twenty14, Goodbye 2013

Dear Stella,
Thank you for the beautiful Christmas and New Year card you sent at the end of 2013. The picture of the tulips in your garden are very pretty. I'm sure your garden gives you joy the whole year round, as does mine.

This is my first blog post for 2014 and I would like to dedicate it to you and our >30 year-long friendship.

New Year resolutions last only a week usually (for me at least), so this year I have not really consciously made any. It is all going to be up to serendipity ... so in failing to plan for 2014, I guess I am planning to fail. Oh, well - life goes on, and I will continue to count my blessings, especially where travel is concerned.

Pantone's colour of 2013 - Emerald green (CNB) 
Let me recall what I did in 2013 so I may be grateful to have gone through another year of 365 sunrises.

In January I went 'home' to Alor Star, Kedah by train, the day they closed the Railway station.

We celebrated Chinese New Year in February with feathered friends at the KL Bird Park.

On my birthday in March, I rode on the North Borneo Railway - certainly a most memorable occasion. And I also experienced the Kota Belud Tamu with our good friends in Sabah.

I went back (balik kampung) to Pulau Pinang four times. The first was on the sad occasion of my loving mum's demise in March (Al-Fatihah), the second for a family meeting in May, the third for Hari Raya in August and the last for my niece's wedding in November. (I have discounted the trip to PP to go on my first cruise on a big ship).

In October we went on a road trip to my nephew's place in historic Kota Tinggi, Johor (and also visiting Legoland Malaysia and Johor Baru).

In November we went on another road trip to another historic place (where it all began) Melaka. In the same month I went on the Star Cruise to Thailand (Phuket & Krabi). This is the only foreign travel that I went on for the year, so it has mostly been 'staycations' or cuti-cuti (di) Malaysia year for me. Not that I am complaining because, despite my 62 years, I am still discovering new patches in my own backyard, especially in Selangor. So far I did visit and 'document' 16 landmarks of this state where I now live.

Slowly but surely I will have visited/revisited the various landmarks that make up our built history and the natural sites the country has been endowed with. Appropriately, 2014 is 'Visit Malaysia Year', so I will make (serendipitous) road and railway trips around the country. I also hope to throw in one or two or more foreign travel. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment