Monday 31 March 2014

SA Garden Catalogue: Pisonia Alba


Pisonia alba on right of pic (CNB 2012)

Pisonia grandis var. alba (syn. Pisonia alba) can be a big shrub or a (not so) small tree with large yellow-green leaves that are sometimes used as vegetables (see my post: More Food from an Urban Garden on 28 February 2012 ). Flowers and fruits are rarely observed and I have certainly not seen any on the two trees I have had in my garden for nearly seven years. I'd bought the two as small plants from the Bukit Cahaya Seri Alam and grown them in large pots to curtail their growth into large trees. With constant pruning, they are bonsai-like with old trunks but new branches. Lately I noticed two nests being 'woven' in the leaves by little birds I am not able to identify.

The Pisonia alba or Mengkudu Siam in Malay, grows well in full sun and propagation is by cuttings.  They do make nice wayside shrubs and I have noticed many growing in the Shah Alam city centre.

Edible shoots of the Pisonia alba (CNB 2014)

The weather in this month of March has been hot with some rains. But with water being rationed in Selangor including Shah Alam, I only get to water the garden sparingly every three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment