Saturday 31 May 2014

SA Garden Catalogue: Cordyline Fruticosa

Cordyline fruticosa in my SA garden (CNB 2011)

Scientific name: Cordyline fruticosa (Syn: Cordyline terminalis)
Common name: Ti tree
Origin: New Guinea and South West Pacific

Verbatim from 'Tropical Horticulture & Gardening' by Francis S. P. Ng*, the Cordyline fruticosa are "Sparsely branched treelets with terminal tufts of leaves. There are numerous forms, which vary in the size, shape and colouration of their leaves. The variegated varieties have leaves tinted red, purple, pink, cream, yellow, white or bronze. The intensity of colouration varies between individuals. In the interior of Borneo, plants with large green leaves are grown for their leaves, used for wrapping cooked food, especially rice, to carry on a journey."

Another form of Cordyline fruticosa in my garden (CNB 2011)

As recommended in the above mentioned book, I have grown the two forms I have in my garden, in full (or partial) sun. I have regularly taken cuttings for vases indoors and when roots appear, I just take them out to propagate these plants, both in containers and on the ground. These plants grow well without much fuss, but I have yet to see any flowers on them.

About May weather; the late afternoon rains and thunderstorms occurred quite regularly early in the month, though abating towards the end. The humidity remained high and when one is out in the garden, it is like being in a perpetual sauna - which must be good for our bodies, I hope!

*Ex Libris CNB 1866

No comments:

Post a Comment