Sunday 12 May 2013

From My Mother's Kitchen: Rasam

Rasam to warm up on rainy days (CNB 2013)

This posting is a tribute to my late mother on this special day for mothers.

During my childhood years, my emak/mother used to cook this particular 'soup' on rainy days when the temperature is lower or rather 'less hot' than usual, and believe me, the warmth that you feel as you imbibe this soup is just comforting.

Rasam may also be eaten with plain white rice because the eggs in this tangy and hot (pepper hot, not chili hot) soup make for an interesting combination.

I understand that Rasam is originally from South India and that there are many varieties. But here is the Kedah version that my emak used to delight my siblings and I with, when we were children decades ago. Her recipe calls for 'some' of this and that, so I have added 'about' so much of the same thing!

Ingredients
2 or 3 shallots
6 garlic cloves
some black pepper corns (about 2 teaspoons)
3 eggs
3 glasses tamarind juice
some halba campur (fenugreek + fennel + cumin + mustard seeds) (about 2 teaspoons)
some curry leaves (about 6 or 7)
a little oil to fry
salt & sugar to taste

Method/How to
1. Pound black pepper corns and peeled garlic cloves.
2. Put above ingredients and tamarind juice into a pot and boil.
3. Slice shallots and fry with halba campur and curry leaves.
4. Add the above ingredients into the boiling soup. Add salt and sugar to taste.
5. Break the eggs into the boiling soup and ready to serve when cooked.
6. Enjoy!

Note: Rasam spice mix (powder) is available at the supermarkets, but it is my mother's recipe that gives me great comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment