Saturday 4 May 2013

Landmarks of Selangor: State Memorial


The Tugu Peringatan Selangor or Selangor State Memorial/Monument in Shah Alam commemorates those who gave their lives for the state. It is located in the formal landscaped garden of the Bangunan Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah, the State Secretariat building. Constructed in 1981, the architect is Dato' Dr Hj Baharuddin bin Abu Kassim.


'Four pointed arches are raised high at the four corners supported on faceted pylons, forming a soaring tower topped by an octagonal dome with a bronze finial. Islamic geometric patterns decorate the haunches of the arches, pylons and drum of the dome. The underside of the dome features a series of rising niches, decorated with gold mosaic and sealed with a rosette at the apex'.

The first time I tried to visit the monument, I went to the State Secretariat building with another purpose - to pay the quit rent. But I went in via the back gate/entrance and could not locate the monument in my walk through the grounds. I asked a few people I met, and they did not know anything about it! Then a security guard told me of its location outside the front gate/entrance. So I returned on this date with B to take these photos. We had the monument to ourselves except for a wedding couple and their photographer.


Ref: Landmarks of Selangor. Jugra Publications, 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment