Tuesday 28 February 2012

More Food from an Urban Garden

The other day I checked the refrigerator to see what I could cook for lunch. I was okay for the proteins - there was barramundi (siakap in local speak) and eggs, but there were no vegetables at all. Dang! I was too lazy to go out to buy any, so I went into the garden to see what I could gather for food (now that sounds very caveman, don't you think?)

Anyway I found that the piper sarmentosum or kadok leaves were enough to make a plateful of masak lemak, the pisonia alba or mengkudu siam another plateful of sayur air (sauteed vegetables) with ikan bilis (anchovies) or prawns. (The mengkudu siam can be cooked masak lemak cili padi as well). Then there were the various ulam (herbs); a little pegaga (Indian liverwort), sambung nyawa (be mindful of this potent herb - only three leaves per day, no more; you don't want to live too long!) and basil or daun selasih. These to be eaten with sambal belacan, of course. Bon appetit! (though I doubt if the French eat sambal belacan).

Food harvest from my little garden ... except for the pink crown
of thorns, that is not edible, I think (CNB 2012)

Mengkudu Siam (Pisonia alba) fresh from the tree (CNB 2012)

Sayur air Mengkudu Siam - quite nice! (CNB 2012)

Selasih (Basil) bloom (CNB 2012)

Kadok in the garden (CNB 2012)

Sambung nyawa - leaves of longevity? (CNB 2012)

Note: This post follows on from my first post about food from a garden on 10/10/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment