Sunday 31 March 2013

Las Carretas, ay caramba!

Las Carretas serviette (CNB 2013)

Las Carretas (The Wagon in Spanish), serves authentic Mexican food with a selection of steaks, ribs, stews, and seafood. Touted as the best Mexican cuisine in Malaysia, I do agree. But then I have not been to any other eateries that serve this cuisine, so ... don't take my word. Go find out for yourself. We went to the branch in Ampang recently, and for me it was my second foray. Or is it forage? Whatever.

The ambiance I suppose tries to emulate that in a Mexican cantina with the decor of typical sombreros and colourful capes. I can't remember if the music was Mexican, but if it was I would have remembered, right? Anyway, let me get on with the food. The starter was tortilla fritas (chips) and salsa dip - nice to pick on while waiting for the main course. M had taco (ok lah) of two fried corn tortilla filled with beef, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream, etc. + arroz (Mexican rice) and beans, while B had beef fajitas (the carnivore strikes again) with the accompanying condiments and tortilla. What did I have?

Tortilla chips & salsa for starters (CNB 2013)

Taco (CNB 2013)

The beef of the fajitas (CNB 2013) 

Don't ask, but I just felt like a pasta, not a traditional Mexican main course. Italian in a Mexican restaurant? No problem - they had the meanest spaghetti vongole. It was the hottest meal I have ever had in my life! I was on fire! Wipe the smirk off your face, I know there are seashells involved. But I suspect the chef was probably trying to warn me to not order non-Mexican next time. Will there be a next time? 

I guess there is likely to be a next time because the dessert was to die for! The highly recommended house specialty Boca chica* is simply deeelicious. It is a layered hazelnut-coffee-flavoured sponge cake with a side serving of vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce and a dash of cinnamon. The taste is not unlike tiramisu, quite Italian in fact. (The chef will probably not like this last remark, but hey, I am a customer ...)

Spaghetti vongole (CNB 2013)

Boca chica (CNB 2013)
*Boca Chica is also a town in the Dominican Republic
29 March 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment