Tuesday 3 September 2013

Clang! Klang!

The name of Klang, the royal town of Selangor, is pronounced as in the English 'clang' or 'clung'. I have heard it both ways, and I prefer it in the baku, Klang. Recently, with M in tow, I went to Klang by train. (In fact even Lonely Planet suggests that its best to get to Klang by this mode of transport.)

This was not my first visit to Klang. I had been here before a very long time ago when my brother MN was stationed here in the 70s. But I do not remember much of Klang or Port Klang then. At the start of our residence in Shah Alam five years ago, I had to go to Klang to pay the water deposit in the Klang Office. So I took the train then, going to the office by taxi and walking back to the station, passing by various landmarks and heritage buildings. Later A and I would come to Klang again to check out the other landmarks (see my previous posts on the landmarks of Selangor).

Colourful facades of heritage shop-houses on Jalan Stesen

This time with M, we were mostly in the area of Jalan Stesen, Jalan Tengku Kelana (the heart of Little India) and Jalan Besar. We also walked the Jambatan Kota (Bridge) over the Klang River.

The heritage row of shop-houses along Jalan Besar (CNB 2013)

It is interesting to note that Klang has many heritage buildings as landmarks. I saw that some shop-houses date back to the 1920s. At Jalan Istana we came across a Dutch style building that was the former Standard Chartered Bank (I will do a blog post on this landmark later).

I revisited some landmarks, including the Sultan Suleiman Building housing the Royal Gallery, the Masjid India Muslim, and notably the Gedung Raja Abdullah which was open this time around. (I will do an update of these landmarks later).

Gedung Raja Abdullah
(see my blog post 7 January 2013 Landmarks of Selangor: Gedung Raja Abdulllah)






Galeri Diraja Sultan Abdul Aziz (Royal Gallery)
(see my blog post 6 January 2013 Landmarks of Selangor: Sultan Suleiman Building)


Masjid India Muslim
(see my blog post 7 January 2013 Landmarks of Selangor: Indian Muslim Mosque)







There are the other landmarks that we did not get to see, so this warrants another visit to this royal town. But we did spend quite some time checking out Klang's Little India with all its interesting sights, smells and sounds.

30 August 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment