Saturday 29 October 2011

Books I love: Tuti dalam Labu

Tuti dalam Labu  (Tuti in a pumpkin) by Nooraihan Ali, is a children's book I love because I loved reading it to my two daughters when they were young. They loved this story as well because there is cute little chicken Tuti and adik (younger sibling), and Pak Musang, the scary big bad wolf, is also involved. Reading the story with a little bit of drama, like increasing the 'sound effects', never fails to give some excitement and anticipation of what is coming. This happens no matter how many times the book is read.

Malam itu, Tuti, adiknya dan ibunya tidur di dalam labu.
Tiba-tiba mereka dengar,
"Sru, srah, sru, srah," lalang berbunyi.
"Diam! Itu Pak Musang sudah datang," bisik ibu.

Tuti dalam Labu, published in 1979 by DBP, is beautifully illustrated by Mohamed Ali.
P.S. I know a pumpkin is involved, but this is definitely not a Halloween story.
 

The cover of  Tuti dalam Labu (CNB 2011)

Tuti and younger sibling go for a walk (CNB 2011)


 
Tuti, adik and their mother in a pumkin (CNB 2011)
Ex Libris CNB 0768

1 comment:

  1. Dear Simply Norma,
    My mother, the late Nooraihan Ali @ Dato' Nooraihan bt Amar Dato' Sallehuddin ,was the author of the book. I am looking for a complete copy so that I may republish it.( My copy has missing pages). Could you be so kind as to forward a scanned copy to me? I shall be ever so grateful. :)

    Warm salams
    Zuhairah

    ReplyDelete