Friday 18 November 2011

My Singapura: Universal Studios & More

In February 2011, during the Chinese New Year (CNY) holidays, we were supposed to go to Jakarta for a short break. Instead we went to Singapore, to enable us to cross over to Johor Baru (JB) to celebrate a CNY evening with friends there. Then we crossed into Singapore again to spend four days in the Lion City.

We arrived in Singapore by the Firefly flight around lunch time, so I was introduced to the Zam Zam Restaurant murtabak for the first time (I in turn introduced it to my friends when we went to S'pore later in June).  Nearby was also the Masjid Sultan and the Malay Heritage Museum. The latter, we learnt, would soon be closed (for renovation?). The almost compulsory Singapore River cruise, we went on again in the late afternoon.

Chicken murtabak at Zam-Zam Restaurant (CNB 2011)

The Sultan Mosque (CNB 2011)

With Zubir Said at the Malay Heritage Museum. He composed
and wrote the lyrics of Majulah Singapura, the national
anthem (AB 2011)

In Sentosa island, our first stop was Siloso, to walk a bit in the sand at this artificial beach. At the Nature Discovery Gallery we learnt to make lanterns. The child with us (and the child in us) enjoyed this thoroughly. We also went on the Tiger sky tower (the first time for me), and it afforded views of the vicinity, and neighbouring countries.

The Tiger sky tower ride (AB 2011)

After Sentosa, we made a photo stop at the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station. That was when I decided that I would make a railway trip in memory of my father, before the closure of this station by the end of June (read my posting 'A Return Journey by Train').

By the tracks of the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station (2011)

Very colourful food at the Station eatery (CNB 2011)

That evening we crossed the Causeway into JB to celebrate Chinese New Year (and birthday of our host). The Lion dance, performed by the Malaysian champion team, was superb. I had never 'fed' lions before, but I had my chance to do so then. It was a truly memorable evening.


Chinese New Year red lions (CNB 2011)

With another guest in JB (AB 2011)

The next day was spent at the newly opened Universal Studios. Of course I tried all the rides. My favourite? Most definitely the carousel!

Universal Studios Singapore - USS (CNB 2011)

Of course I'm grinning. Its not everyday that
I get a 'super mom' award! (AB 2011)

Carousels are magical always (AB 2011)

With the whole menagerie of 'Madagascar' (USS Guide 2011)

Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park (CNB 2011)

Riding or rather, swirling into Jurassic Park (USS Guide 2011)

A sultry 'Marilyn Monroe' at USS (CNB 2011)

The other new attraction is the Marina Bay Sands Skypark, for the 'on top of the world' feeling.

Up high above the Singapore skyline (AB 2011)

Before heading for home, on the last morning, we headed to Robinsons for some shopping. But I spent more time at the 'Ode to Art' Gallery which had the sculptures by some Chinese artists. I liked the tangerine tango coloured figures.

The breaking dawn from my hotel room (CNB 2011)

An 'Ode to Art' Gallery exhibit (CNB 2011)

Another 'Ode to Art' Gallery exhibit (CNB 2011)

February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment