Wednesday 5 December 2012

Books I Love: As I was Passing


As I was Passing, by Sri Delima, was first published in book form in 1976, from a selection of her series column in the New Straits Times. She writes with wit and humour on the idiosyncrasies of Malaysian life. I acquired this book hot off the Berita Publishing's printers in 1976 at the princely sum of M$4.50! (As I was Passing II published in 2007 retails at RM32.90. Err... this is just to show you how the cost of books have gone up over the years).

If like me, you like looking back, then this book is worth dipping into often. You cannot help chuckling as Adibah Amin (the real name of Sri Delima) describes the 'antics' of the characters in the real world of our multicultural society. Her takes on our festive seasons, our kampung and city lives, etc. are a nostalgic record indeed of life in the good old days. There I go again ...

Ex Libris CNB 0577

No comments:

Post a Comment