Tuesday 18 December 2012

Eating out in SA: Restoran Tunas Rohayu

This very unpretentious restaurant 'Tunas Rohayu' is located in the PKNS complex in the Shah Alam city centre. If I have something to do at the PKNS: Perbadanan Kemajuan Negeri Selangor/Selangor Development Corporation (like making a complaint about what I think may be a sinkhole developing in front of our gate), then I time it such that I can have an early lunch (11.30 am -12.00 noon) at this restaurant. When the food is freshly cooked and laid out.

My dish of gulai kawah and sayur pucuk paku on white rice
 (CNB 2012)

The owner being from Negri Sembilan, so the food is mainly Minang/Negri Sembilan. My favourite dish is always the gulai kawah (reminiscent of my TKC Seremban days), with luscious lumps of beef fat floating in the kuah (gravy). Yummy! Now you know why one cannot eat here too often. But, as the owner said to me, 'Tak pe, makan lemak tu sekali sekala, lepas rindu makan gulai kawah!'  He knows I eat there often enough.

I always have a vegetable dish to go with my gulai kawah and there are a variety to choose from - pucuk paku, pucuk manis, rebung, taugeh, sawi, bayam, ubi, terung, tempe etc., etc. The vegetable dishes may be masak lemak, masak air, or goreng cabai. (Is tempe a vegetable? Are soya beans that it is made of, vegetables? I guess so.)

Other than the beef gulai kawah that I have gushed about, there are a variety of chicken and fish dishes. All delicious!

The array of food at Tunas Rohayu (CNB 2013)
*Update September 2014: This eatery was recently renovated and renamed Restoran Rohayu. The food remains the same - good!

No comments:

Post a Comment