Monday 26 September 2011

Fauna in a Garden 2

More fauna in the garden at SA,SA:
A fly eating a ripe berry of the Straits rhododendron
As I was pottering about the garden in the early morning, I saw a few (fruit) flies on the 'tree of life'. I noticed that they were not too disturbed when I went up close. The berries must be really yummy food! So it was pretty easy to get this picture.



A fly at SA (CNB 2011)

A yellow bird on the Tamalan tree (after eating the berries of the same above tree)
Actually other types of birds also feed on these berries of  the 'tree of life' in the garden at SA. But I have not been able to 'freeze the moments' when the birds are actually on this tree. They just flit around so, so much! This particular yellow fella (though not dirty fella) was actually preening itself quite a bit, so I could actually run into the house, grab my camera, and 'freeze the moment'.


A Yellow bird at SA (CNB 2011) 

A snail in the container kitchen garden; not a welcome guest!
About a week ago I found this fella - the first time a snail has ever been sighted in my garden. I know the usual way to get rid of snails is to drop them in a pail of salted water where they'll sizzle and die, but I just couldn't do it. So I gingerly removed it from the pandan plant and put it outside. And fervently hoped that it will find its way to the lallang covered backyard of my neighbours. I have not seen it since then, so maybe it has happily found a new home. Yay!

 
A Snail at SA (CNB 2011)

The Snail up close (CNB 2011)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment