Sunday 11 September 2011

My Thailand

The 'Land of Smiles' has never failed to attract many tourists from all over the world, despite periods of unrest (coups, strikes, etc.). Being Malaysia's northern neighbour, trips into Thailand may be easily made by all modes of transport - trains, cars, buses, boats/ships and planes.

I have made six trips altogether (in 1974, 1976, 1994, 1999, 2003, 2004), two of them officially. The first trip was with my brother MN, his wife SM and young son, my younger siblings AG and AW and SM's cousin. My brother drove us across the border into Thailand, to Sadao. But I cannot recall anything else of this first trip (not even the food! Oh, alright, I remember the delicious tom yam goong) because the only two photos taken were at the border milestone. I guess photography was not my thing then. The second trip in 1976 was again with my brother and wife, and this time I remember we went to Hatyai. There I bought two pieces of Thai silk (white cherry blossoms on yellow and little black elephants on red) which was only tailored later in 1982 as maternity dresses! (So now you know I got hitched in between these two dates.)

At the Thai border (MN 1974)

Tuk tuks at Hatyai (CNB 1976)

The 1994 trip was official. It was organised by the Registrar's Office of Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) for about 30 officers of the Uni to learn and share administrative information and skills with our Thai academic counterparts. We went by bus from Pulau Pinang to Songkhla, then Hatyai, and from here to Bangkok by the overnight train. As always train trips never fail to fascinate me and this was no exception. It was interesting that our day seat easily became our night bed! They were both comfortable. But I remember being quite sad to see the slums by the rail tracks as we approached this capital city.

(PIC)

The 65th International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA) Council & General Conference 1999 was held in Bangkok, and I was privileged to present a paper there. (My paper was entitled 'Malaysian Serials; Issues and Problems'). Other than visiting libraries, the delegates were also taken to historical/cultural sites. I went to the Vimanmek teak mansion, a beautiful building indeed.

Thai Crown Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn officiates
at the Conference (CNB 1999)

A 'say cheese' moment with the Cambodian delegates (1999)

At the Vimanmek, with other Conference delegates (1999)

A photo opp with the dancers at Vimanmek (1999)

The best trip was made in March 2003 with seven girlfriends under the guidance of Orasa, a friend of Thai origin. She arranged the itinerary from start to finish and we sometimes veered away from the beaten track, which proved to be truly memorable. We left Butterworth by overnight train to Bangkok on my birthday. (More about this in My Thailand: Bangkok & Beyond)

The last trip made a year later in 2004 was with family - my husband M and our two daughters B and A. This time we flew in and out of Bangkok. One hilarious event was riding the tuk tuk. The daredevil drivers nearly gave me a heart attack but hubby and the girls enjoyed it thoroughly. Apart from the sights of Bangkok, we also made day trips to Damnoen Saduak floating market and Ayuthaya, former capital and Unesco World Heritage site. (More about this in My Thailand in Pictures and Poetry)

No comments:

Post a Comment