Sunday 18 September 2011

My France

I very nearly missed going to France. Because my friends were very, very late, we nearly missed the train from London to Dover, then across the English Channel by ferry, and another train to Gare Du Nord, Paris. The Channel ferry crossing was really rough and I confess that I threw up a few times. Eeeuw...

Paris, famed city of love, and so nearby, just across the English Channel. Of course I had to visit this city that has one of the architectural wonders of the world - La Tour Eiffel (the Eiffel Tower). This iron open metal structure, built by Gustave Eiffel in 1889,  is the Parisian must-visit. (You have not been to Paris if you have not visited the Tower.) We went up the second level and from here we could see Paris all around, including the nearby River Seine.

By the River Seine (1975)

We also found out then that despite all the safety precautions taken, some very determined persons somehow find ways to jump down to a very painful death because they will hit the tower plunging down as it is wider at the base. Can you imagine? Ouch! Ouch! (Silence...).

At La Tour Eiffel (1975)

Notre Dame de Paris (Our Lady of Paris) is a Catholic cathedral of Gothic architecture and another iconic building in Paris. When I was there, I kept thinking about The Hunchback of Notre Dame. And I loved the scary looking gargoyles.

We also went to the Basilique du Sacre-Cour (Basilica of the Sacred Heart), a Roman Catholic church situated at the summit of Montmarte, the highest point of Paris. I did notice in front of the Basilica, the bronze statue of the French national saint, St Joan of Arc, but I forgot to capture the image on my camera. Such is life! But below is a picture I took off the Internet! Just so we can see how really beautiful it is.

St Joan of Arc

In front of the Basilique du Sacre-Cour (1975)

Then there was the tomb of Napoleon Bonaparte, the man who crowned himself emperor of France. Quite impressive really, being made of red quartzite and mounted on a green granite base. I read that he was interred in St Helena in 1841 and only after 40 years was his ashes buried in the tomb.

Napoleon's Mausoleum (1975)

We visited the Louvre Museum and saw the iconic Mona Lisa painting (surprisingly small, I thought). We walked the Avenue des Champs-Elysees and around the Arc de Triomphe, but did not go up to the top. We were also in the Montmarte artists' quarter and Pigalle, where the Moulin Rouge (Red Mill) is. But no, we did not see any high-kicking can can dancing, unfortunately.

In Montmarte (CNB 1975)

In the artists' square of Montmarte (CNB 1975)

From Paris we took a 30 minute train ride to the Chateau de Versailles (Palace of Versailles), whose gardens were touted as most beautiful. But we were there in winter so it was the Palace that had the attention of visitors, including us. We also went by train to visit my friends' ex-teacher who had settled in the outskirts of Paris with his French wife. I cannot remember where we went but I remember the lunch we had - coq au vin (chicken stew). And of course there was baguette, grapes and Camembert cheese.

A train journey to the suburbs of Paris (CNB 1975)
1975

No comments:

Post a Comment