Thursday 8 September 2011

The Varsity years

I recall my varsity years at the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur as quite liberating (after the 'confines' of an all-girl boarding school), albeit rather uneventful. All freshies had to stay in residential colleges and mine was the 5th, the furthest from the lecture theatre complex. So 5th collegians learnt how to hitch hike on other more fortunate students' motor cycles, though there were campus buses that seemed to cruise by at the wrong times.

I majored in Chinese studies - which was all about Chinese history, culture, & civilisation, language & literature. Why Chinese studies? Well, I'm not quite sure myself! Chinese language teaching then was at an introductory stage so there was no use of language labs. I don't quite remember the Chinese language/studies lecturers, but two tutors stood out then - Zuraina Majid and Obeidullah. Our Japanese language teacher was a very soft spoken Ms. Kyoko Tanaka. I still have a pretty (but empty) sake bottle as a keepsake from her.

The Chinese Studies class of 71/72 with our Japanese language
lecturer Ms Kyoko Tanaka 

The class with our lecturers 72/73

Aside from the lectures and tutorials, there was also the 'social factor' to life on the campus. 'Ragging' still happened then and one felt the intimidation (though mild) by seniors, both male and female. But I had a very nice senior room mate in Margaret Yuen, whom I remember, used to study all night using her table lamp but shielding the light away from a sleeping moi! I also joined the university cultural troupe, but only in the first year.

The UM Cultural Troupe 1971/72

During the second year I stayed in a rented house in Petaling Jaya (exact location quite forgotten, but within walking distance to the uni) with some working friends of my sister CY. A traumatic experience was when our house was burgled while we slept away. My newly acquired guitar was taken and my housemates lost money and a good vinyl record collection among other things. So in the 3rd year I chose to stay with my sister further away in SEA Park with our uncle YA, his wife AM, son AY and their two maids. I had to commute to classes using the public buses but I enjoyed the security of 'family'.

At the UM Convocation, mid 1974

I was a Kedah state scholar but on graduation with a BA (Hons.) 2nd Class Upper, I was permitted to transfer to the Federal, when accepted to do a postgraduate diploma in librarianship. After a 6 months 'internship' at the Perpustakaan Negara Malaysia (National Library of Malaysia), a batch of us left the country to pursue our studies in the United Kingdom.

1971 - 1974

No comments:

Post a Comment