Saturday 10 September 2011

My Singapura 2

So where else have I been to in Singapore in June 2011? For food, the first place we headed for was Zam Zam Restaurant, for their famous murtabak - chicken, beef or deer/venison. Somehow, I did not enjoy it as much as I did the first time I ate there earlier in February. So, for our last meal there before we left for home, I had fried kwayteow instead. My friends not only ate murtabak again, but also bought some to take home to KL! Between the very red kwayteow and the murtabak, maybe the murtabak wins after all.

My very red kwayteow goreng and a murtabak at Zam Zam (CNB 2011)

We also went to the Lau Pa Sat Hawker Centre for us to savour some satay (I nearly ordered the wrong kind, don't ask me what!), and for me to admire the architectural details there. Lau Pa Sat means 'old market' because it is perhaps the oldest, and it is in the central business district of Singapore. The structure is of Victorian filigree (read lace?) cast iron - quite pretty really.

Note the architecture of LPS behind me (SH 2011)

To me the detailing looks like lace (CNB 2011)

Not forgetting our religious obligations, we visited and prayed in two mosques: the Al-Abrar and the Sultan.
At first we stumbled upon the Nagore Durga Shrine (also the Indian Muslim Heritage Centre now) but were directed to the Al-Abrar nearby.

Nagore Durga Shrine - like a multi-tiered wedding cake (CNB 2011)

The Al-Abrar Mosque in Chinatown (CNB 2011)

Upper floor of the Al-Abrar Mosque (CNB 2011)

Ablution area of the Sultan Mosque, Kg Glam (CNB 2011)

Detail at the Sultan Mosque (CNB 2011)

Other than looking around in Kampong Gelam/Glam and Arab Street nearby, we also visited Geylang Serai, the Malay enclave of Singapore. We were glad to have a hearty brunch of nasi padang at the hawker centre there, above the new market. Markets have always fascinated me, and this was no exception. Other than the hawker centre, there were stalls selling all kinds of clothing upstairs. But downstairs was the wet market, and there were meats, fishes, fruits and vegetables galore.

My nasi padang plateful at GS Food Court (CNB 2011)

The story of Geylang Serai on display at the market (CNB 2011)

On the GS market steps (SH 2011)

Bananas galore! at the GS market (CNB 2011)

At Geylang Serai too is the much maligned Malay Village. When we were there, the Kuda Kepang performance was on, but sadly, there was not much of an audience. It was my first 'real' kuda kepang show up close and I was fascinated, especially with the very elaborate pre-performace rituals.

Kuda kepang at the Malay Village (CNB 2011)

Goofing around with Ariff at the Malay Village

We visited the 'durian/microphone/fly eyes' - the Esplanade theatres on the Bay at dusk, but did not find anything in their upcoming programme that would make us return in the near future. Nevertheless the building was quite stunning in the evening light.

Esplanade - Theatres on the Bay at dusk (CNB 2011)

What is travel without some shopping? It was also the 'great Singapore sale' for crying out loud! So not one, but two evenings were spent at the 24-hour Mustafa Centre in Little India. My friends shopped for luggage (to put in all the other shopping) while I settled for a little backpack (to justify being there). Oh, and we got our tacky souvenirs here - key chains, water globes, fridge magnets, orchid brooches. Two afternoons were also spent at Orchard Road upmarket malls. While my friends spent their money on designer stuff, I explored nearby Emerald Hill Road on my own. The Peranakan 'Chinese Baroque' style terrace houses were looking pristine indeed.

Emerald Hill Road (CNB 2011)

Remember the monologue play/monodrama 'Emily of Emerald Hill'? No. 2 Emerald Hill Road (that provided Stella Kon her stories of Emily) is no longer the Peranakan 'showcase' house anymore because its been turned into a 'watering hole'! So the information about it on this signage is no longer relevant and perhaps should be updated.

A dated information board at the Orchard Road end of Emerald Hill Road (CNB 2011)

Anyway I stopped by another 'watering hole', at No. 5 Emerald Hill Road, for a drink of the permissable kind. At least two waiters there were Malaysians, and said they liked working in Singapore for the better pay (and tips).

Me in the ubiquitous 'fine' t-shirt at No.5 EHR (Kind waiter 2011)

When there is a river, there will be river cruises. On the Singapore River the bumboats beckon. This time around I tried to get us do the sunset cruise because I had gone on the daytime cruise often enough, but it was not meant to be. The distraction? 'Hello Kitty', the kitten without a mouth, in a shop mall nearby. After all my friends had female grandchildren to buy for.

Just one/two of a whole store of Hello Kittys (CNB 2011)

Anyway Singapore by night along the river has some interesting sights to behold and what better than the iconic water spitting (some say vomitting) Merlion.

A night time green Merlion (CNB 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment