Saturday 17 September 2011

My Spain

In December 1974, during the Christmas break, I went to Spain with a new friend staying at our hostel in London. Michelle was a Chinese girl from Mauritius. Although we had only known each other about two months, we were both interested to experience a bit of Espana. We travelled by train to Dover and after crossing the English Channel, we went overland by coach through France to get to Barcelona, the biggest city on the Mediterranean.

Central Plaza, Barcelona (CNB 1974)

In Barcelona, we stayed at a pension close to La Rambla. The accomodation was very basic. There was no hot water and the room heater was barely functioning. (Brrr... it was cold, really cold). I slept with my coat on! But the location was very good. I remember the many times traipsing along La Rambla, especially where the flower stalls are, and going right up to the Monument a Colom (Columbus Monument). We bought fruits at the Boqueria Market, where I gawked at my first endive and some very colourful salad leaves.

At the Columbus Monument Garden (1974)

Another place we went to was the Parc de Montjuic. I remember riding the cable car up the hill to an amusement park there. There were all sorts of rides, but I only remember one, because it scared the hell out of me. It was like being impaled on some railings and being twirled round and round. Here we met some friendly local boys, but they spoke no English and we spoke no Spanish/Catalan. So they could merely gesture their hellos and we gestured our good-byes.

Miramar Gardens, Montjuic (CNB 1974)

Another hard to miss monument is the Mujedar (Spanish-Moorish) style Arc de Triomf (Arc of Triumph) built for the Exposicion Universal de Barcelona in 1988 as the World Expo's main access gate. It is situated at one end of a beautiful palm lined promenade. I know my b&w picture here does not reflect its true architectural beauty.

Arc de Triomf, Barcelona (CNB 1974)

What did we do for food? Other than  fruits from the market, we had tortilla de patata (Spanish potato omelettes) a lot, from the tapas bars or hole in the wall cafes (standing room only). Sometimes we had seafood. I don't remember eating paella, (the Spanish national/Valencian regional dish), so maybe we did not. Being students, we were quite frugal. The only souvenirs I got were tiny leather purses and a pair of wooden castanets, decorated with matador and bull (watching a flamenco dance would be too expensive, and a real bullfight would be too gory!).

My (tacky) souvenir from Spain  - Castanets (CNB 2011)

We all know of the famous architect Antoni Gaudi. His still unfinished Sagrada Familia was hard to miss. We could just stand and stare in awe of it all. The cathedral in the Barri Gotic (Gothic Quarter) was another sight to behold. The Christmas lights all over the city made this port capital of Catalonia very beautiful indeed. Pity, my cheap camera could not do any justice to this.

Christmas lights in the streets of Barcelona (1974)

 One day-trip we did out of Barcelona was by train to Castelldefels, the closest beach. The beach was quite deserted as it was winter. Nevertheless the short train journey was great and afforded a glimpse of the Costa Dorada (Golden Coast).

On the beach at Castelldefels (1974)

Being host to the 1992 Olympics has changed the Barcelona skyline a lot. Given a chance, I would definitely revisit this port capital of Catalonia. But then again, I would also like to see the rest of Spain. Learning the Spanish language in Spain has been on my TtdBID/bucket list for some time, and learning it on my own has never gotten me past the most basic greeting of Hola! Que tal? (Hello! How are you?). I would love to be able to say with confidence, "Vamos a bailar? Donde se puede bailar salsa?" (Shall we dance? Where can we dance the salsa?)

December 1974

No comments:

Post a Comment